Football is back on TV with NFL preseason games and all is right with the world. This also means that you are probably gearing up for your Fantasy Football Draft. I don’t know about you, but this is one of my favorite times of the year. I probably spend way too much time analyzing players and potential picks, but that’s the fun of it. Fantasy Football has quickly become one a huge sensation. We used to just watch the NFL to pull for our favorite teams, but now we find ourselves rooting for players around the league…EVEN if they’re playing against your team.
With the season right around the corner, here are some tips that might help you come draft day…
Players to stay AWAY from:
- Larry Fitzgerald – Yes, he’s one of the best receivers in the game…there’s no denying that. But take it from someone who has had him on their team before, he is a miss when it comes to a high draft pick. Fitzgerald doesn’t have a solid supporting cast of receivers and he doesn’t have a great arm throwing to him. As tempting as it may be, save yourself the headache and choose someone else in the early rounds.
- Darren McFadden – Also another really great runningback…when he’s healthy. McFadden is projected to go in the fourth round, but given his history, that is a BIG gamble for a guy that could spend the majority of the season with his foot in a bucket of ice.
- Vernon Davis – He’s one of the most athletic and talented TEs in the game, but the 49ers are a run first offense. Even though he may get more love due to Crabtree’s injury, I still look for San Francisco to stick to what they know. Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean good things for Vernon Davis owners.
Players to grab while you can:
- Steven Jackson – He’s projected to go in the late second round, but I’d snatch him up earlier if you can. Yeah, he turned 30 this year, but he’s now with the Atlanta Falcons who love to run in the red zone. Michael Turner had a horrible season last year, but he wasn’t the worst guy to have on your fantasy team because Atlanta likes the ball on the ground near the end zone. Take Jackson!
- Chris Johnson – Johnson didn’t have an impressive year last year, but he sure kicked it into high gear towards the end of the season. He’s projected to go in the 4th round, but if he continues like he did at the end of last year, you could land yourself some big points with picking up Johnson.
- Dwayne Bowe – Bowe is one of those guys that has all the potential in the world, but hasn’t had anybody that can get him the ball. Unlike Larry Fitzgerald, Bowe now has that guy. With Alex Smith taking the snaps, Bowe could have that breakout year that Bowe owners have always hoped for.